- The red-tiled roofs of Lisbon, the port wine in Porto, the hilltop palace at Sintra, and the endless Atlantic Coast—Portugal is a quirky old empire with a character wholly its own.
- Afternoons spent sipping vinho verde at the beach in Comporta, a fishing village turned summer getaway.
- Riding a tuk-tuk through the bohemian barrio neighborhood of Lisbon.
- Touring the gardens of the Palace of the Marquises of Fronteira, a private museum outside of the capitol.
Things To See & Do
- In Porto, stay in a luxurious 18th-century palace.
- Learn about port wine in its birthplace; this stunning northern city is perched on a steep hillside above the River Douro.
- Visit Cascais, on the coast just north of Lisbon. It was once a summer enclave for royals and aristocrats.
- Step into the fairytale palace worthy of Disney’s imagination in the hilltop town of Sintra.
- Bask in the sun and sand in the Algarve, the southernmost part of the country, full of beautiful beachy hotels.