*While visiting Turkey is dependent on the political situation, this jewel of civilization should be on everyone’s list of lifetime must-sees.
What We Love
- Quite literally where East meets West, Turkey’s incredible mix of culture, architecture, design, religion, food, and art, makes it one of the most popular destinations in recent years.
- Istanbul was once the capital for the Roman, Byzantine, Latin, and Ottoman empires. One of our favorite introductions to the city is an afternoon cruise on the Bosphorus—or a private tour of the astounding Hagia Sophia, the Basilica Cistern, and Topkapi Palace.
- Shopping for textiles at the Grand Bazaar.
- Floating over Cappadocia’s otherworldly landscape in a hot-air balloon.
- Turkey shares the Aegean with Greece and rivals its best seaside villages and resorts. Bodrum and Cesme are the new unofficial capitals of the bohemian jet set.
Things To See & Do
- Cook a traditional Turkish meal at an authentic family-run restaurant.
- Stay in a boutique cave hotel.
- Discover archaeological wonders in the Ionian city of Ephesus.
- Back in Istanbul, explore the newly renovated Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum with their impressive collection of carpets, tiles, and calligraphy.
- Properly caffeinate with a cup of kahve before experiencing the sights, sounds, and smells of the Grand Bazaar.